Thursday, May 14, 2020

A Breakup, and a March 19, 1984 letter

I was in the middle of the final semester of my sophomore year of college and in the process of finally deciding my choice of major (psychology). Tito was working at a credit union not too far from his home and received a telephone call from his long-distance girlfriend at the time, Jo. In response to the letter posted here, he had sent her a cassette tape letting her know that he'd decided to end their relationship.

Jo had originally called his family home and they informed her that he was at work and gave her his number there. Given the nature of the call, Tito told her that he'd call her back when he was on his lunch hour. After returning home, he spent his entire break dealing with Jo's hysterical reaction to his choice to break up with her. She pleaded with him to give her another chance, but he had made up his mind. He did his best to explain why he felt things had to end in a gentle, but firm way. After some time, he said, "I don't know what else I can say," and she replied with, "Say you'll try." He had been trying over weeks of being given the silent treatment. She only wanted to talk now that things were over.

The letter I'm posting is the catalyst for Tito's decision to end things, though it wasn't the only thing. The rest of the story is detailed in my book and there is another letter that preceded this one which was hysterical and vague. That letter came out of the blue and was followed by Jo's refusal to talk to him for three weeks until this letter came along. It may be unfair to reach any particular conclusions, but I felt this entire situation was an attempt to manipulate Tito into financing a trip to California (again) for her. I'm not even sure if the first letter and subsequent refusal to speak to him weren't a way of creating tension to increase the chances that he'd foot the bill for a vacation for her, but I'm inclined to be cynical based on my experiences with Jo.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. Please note that comments are moderated so spam or abuse will not appear.